Thursday, March 8, 2012

a little bird and a table...

  First, I will start with the bird.  Or rather an owl.  I found these two owls at the thrift store the other day and I thought about the West Elm owls that are currently sold out.  I thought these guys would look kinda cute with some spray paint love.




Well the little one is cute, but the big one just looks kinda creepy!  My daughter had a good idea that I should paint the big one black for halloween so that might be his fate after all.


He's going to find a home in my bookcase I do believe!

Okay, now on to the table... I found this round table in front of someone's house meant for the trash awhile ago and snatched it up.  It had some water damage and was missing some trim pieces but it had a nice glass top, so I figured I could do something with it.  It lived like this until now! 





Spray painted white


Antiquing Medium and Gray acrylic paint


I was scared!  I have never antiqued a piece of furniture before and I really didn't know what I was doing.  At first I applied with a sponge brush and then realized that a cloth worked better.  I also distressed it with sandpaper on the edges to really give it a worn look.


And here it is now! 









p.s.  I made the slipcovers for the wing chair and ottoman, I will do a post about them soon.  And while I'm here, I just want to add that the wicker chair was also a trash pile find.  It is one of my favorite pieces.

Please feel free to leave a comment and if you like what you see, become a follower!

8 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to try this. You make it look easy so maybe I will give it a try. :) KB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! Now I want to try a turquoise spray paint with the brown antiquing stain. I also used an acrylic spray sealer, so much easier than brushing on a poly acrylic.

      Delete
  2. Recently I have become home obsessed with owls, now I will be stopping at goodwill on my way home tomorrow! So glad I found your little piece of the blog world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I found the same pitiful looking owl at my Goodwill, and I had the same idea you did - amazing how pitiful turned into prettified. ;-)
    http://evolutionofstyleblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/what-hoot.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessed with owls! :)

      ~ Kim

      Delete
  4. I saw this posted on Thrifty Decor Chick. I love what you did with the owls. I have a few I found at thrift stores that look a little scary but now I'm going to paint them white. They look very modern and trendy. I counted over 44 owls in my son's nursery. I posted about the room here: http://www.obseussed.com/2011/08/diy-owl-nursery-ideas-before-and-after.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. your table is gorgeous! i love the lines and color, and i have a thing for owls, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!! If you are commenting as "Anonymous" please leave your name so I know who you are :)