Monday, June 4, 2012

Thrift Store Tray Before and After


  My cousin is getting married on the Outer Banks this Friday.  She found these trays online and wanted to have something similar to use for her place cards, without the $59.99 price tag.  I sent her a picture of a tray I had purchased at a thrift store for $4.25 to see if it would work, all it needed was some paint.  She said it would, so I got to work recreating a old and yucky tray into something cute and beachy.






Both trays are from Shore Chic.




....and the yucky before pictures of the thrift store tray.  
Our tray measured 17" x 24" x 3".













This is how it looked after a coat of primer and then I sanded down some of the rough spots.










After two coats of white Satin paint.













 I had a quart of blue paint (Valspar Rain Dance) forever in my garage that was from an old project and thought the color would look similar to the blue on the $59.99 tray.  The technique I used to paint on the blue paint is called dry brushing.  You dip your brush in the paint and then wipe it off on a cloth or in my case, a paper towel.  It took quite a few coats of blue to get the color intensity that I wanted but it was worth it in the end.

















The finished tray.  
The tray will be on a table with a white linens and the colors of the reception are royal blue and chartreuse green with hydrangeas on the cake, which I think the tray will tie in nicely to the blue color of the tray.
























Not too bad for a $55.74 savings!!!  
I can't wait for the wedding, my sister and my Mom will be here this week, and we drive up on Friday morning.  I am doing the bride's makeup so I am so excited for that too,
(..and the kiddos are staying home with Dad.  Woohoo, girl's road trip!!).  
Should be lots of fun and I'm sure I will have some good pictures, I love the Outer Banks!

~  Kim :)

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment!! If you are commenting as "Anonymous" please leave your name so I know who you are :)