Thursday, May 3, 2012

A personal epiphany...



  Hi Everyone!  Sorry I have been quiet around here.  I have been hard at work but not on projects around the house... this is a project within myself.  I had this really long post written up but now I'm just going to wing it and get to the point.  After reading about Miss Mustard Seed's success after putting up her "pie-in-the-sky-post," I got to thinking.  What are my big dreams and wishes for the future for myself professionally?

  It's not having a chalk paint made with my name on it... it's not a decorating book...  it's not creating a textiles line.  I mean I love a can of spray paint just as much as the next DIY girl, but I don't like living with paint in my hair and nails all the time.  I am a glamour girl.  So what am I already good at and already have a successful business at?!!  Makeup.  I think I have gotten a little bored with the wedding makeup gig.  I mean I LOVE doing makeup for brides but I feel like I am missing something.  Or maybe I'm not growing creatively and professionally enough to keep up my interest.

  So I spent a lot of time mulling over what I would like to do and how I would like to grow.  The light bulb went off after a few nights of sitting around thinking about how I see myself in 10 years... I want to teach makeup!  And not just the occasional makeup lesson that I do, I want to teach aspiring makeup artists how to do makeup and be successful in the business.

  I am already in the middle of changing my makeup website and giving it a face lift, so now is the perfect time to make some changes within my business.  I think I have a philosophy and makeup style that is different than a lot of the makeup artists around.  I believe beautiful makeup comes from flawless skin and allowing ones natural beauty to come through.  All of this heavy, dramatic makeup is going to look dated in a few years.  I mean, don't get me wrong I love a smokey eye and I think dramatic makeup has it's place, especially in print work, but for weddings... you don't want to age yourself or have your husband-to-be go..."huh, who is that walking down the aisle?".  It's not cute.

  So that's where I'm at, I am working on getting a blog together for my makeup business and hoping to grow professionally while still creating a beautiful and happy home! ... and helping others create a beautiful home too.  My Mother-in-Law just received her fabric for her dining room chairs and I am hoping to get a picture of them up soon!

Thanks everyone!  Have a good day :)

~  Kim

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very awesome observation. The idea of getting married soon has definately been making me think about who I want to be in 5-10 years. It might mean I may have to do some backtracking professionaly and educationally but I can tell you that sitting at a desk all day writing grants and documents is NOT going to be on the list. :) Best of luck!

    ~Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud you my dear! And good luck. I know you will do great and wonderful things.

    ps, couldn't agree with you more on the dramatic makeup. I LOVE the natural look. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!! If you are commenting as "Anonymous" please leave your name so I know who you are :)