Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hallway Board & Batten {Sneak Peak}



We hopped on the Board & Batten bandwagon!!

I've been holding out on showing you because still aren't done, but it might be awhile until we are totally finished, because we have a 4 year old birthday party to plan!  






The before started out really rough... our hallway looked like this for 2 years!  I couldn't decide on a paint color... I couldn't decide what to do but just painting it didn't seem right.   Boring, even.


I had seen board and batten done all over blogland but it wasn't until one day it hit me that it would look fantastic in the hallway.  I also wanted to create a sort of art gallery for all of the artwork my two children bring home.  I had frames from the thrift store that I spray painted and from Ikea to start with.


It took me awhile to figure out how I wanted to do it.  I could have gone a cheaper route and used lattice pieces, but it didn't seem right since we removed the baseboards and put in 1 x 6 inch boards to replace them.  I wanted something thicker and substantial.  We ended up using 1 x 4 inch boards for the top and vertical pieces.  We bought the already primed boards to make our life easier!


This picture (below) I got off Google helped put the pieces together.  We left out the back board because we have smooth walls, and we did not put the shelf part at the top because it was a hallway, and we were afraid we'd be bumping into it.


The remaining To Do List is to:  replace those awful lights, put down sisal runners until we refinish the hardwood floors, and to purchase more frames for the kid's artwork.




























The view from our bedroom at the end of the hallway... see the Legos :) 


The Ikea frames. 






It's not done, but we're getting there!

~  Kim :)

** the paint color is Smoky Charcoal by Glidden if anyone is interested.

4 comments:

  1. What a transformation! Great job! Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! I love it, makes walking up and down the hallway a million times a day a little bit more interesting ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi There,

    I am going through the exact same project (which believe it or not also includes a frame gallery as well!!) We sort of hit a speed bump. We are completely stumped on figuring out the verticals. Like your hallway we have six doors (3 on the right one in the end 2 on the left) and can't figure out how to space them. Wondering if you can shed some light on how you did yours. Lastly the verticals on left and right wall must match correct? Thanks so much for any insight you can offer...by the way amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandra,

    Thanks for stopping by! I'm going to try and tell you my method and hopefully it makes sense. I figured out that I wanted at least 12 inches in between each board vertically. It worked out great on the first sections on both sides, but then once we got down a little in between two doors, the boards wouldn't have looked good visually and would have been off at 12 inches. So my not so OCD husband (lol!) decided to place a board on the side of each door frame and one in the middle and the other two fell in between (picture #15 & #18 with the 4 smaller Ikea frames). So in between each board on that section, there is 13 inches, 11 inches, 11 inches, 13 inches. That looked the best...and no ones knows the difference! I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more questions! Good luck!!~ Kim

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!! If you are commenting as "Anonymous" please leave your name so I know who you are :)