Thursday, January 3, 2013

Brunswick Stew~ A Mrs. Fearnow's Knock off


I love to eat Mrs. Fearnow's Brunswick stew, in the yellow can, which is surprising because 
I despised lima beans when I was growing up.
I would take every lima bean that I was forced to eat,
stick them all in my mouth and drink my water until I had swallowed them all whole!  
But I love this stew and I really start to crave it when the weather turns cold.

A few weeks ago, I had a can of the stew for dinner but since then
our local grocery store has been sold out.  
I started looking at recipes online and was surprised to see recipes 
made with V8 Juice or 3 sticks of butter.  
I know that V8 juice was NOT around at the time that Brunswick Stew was invented!!
I wanted to get as close to the original recipe as possible but
with the modern conveniences of already cooked chicken, frozen vegetables, and canned tomatoes!


My adaption of Mrs. Fearnow's Brunswick Stew
http://www.mylifeincolorblog.com/2013/01/brunswick-stew-mrs-fearnows-knock-off.html


This is what I came up with, with the help of my Mom who's family has made
Brunswick Stew for as long as she can remember.

From George Fearnow:

"We sold the business in 1999, and I retired after 30 years of making Brunswick Stew. My Grandmother, my mother & father, and my aunt & uncle made the stew from about 1929. Comment on history. Brunswick stew origin lies with the spices used. Williamsburg was most likely the start of Brunswick Stew but Brunswick County, VA and Brunswick, Georgia will protest that.
Recipe suggestions: 1.) Use white shoe-peg corn 2.) Use a whole chicken to get the best broth. 3.) Save the lesser fatty pieces of skin to be minced and added back in. 4.) Use salt & sugar in equal amounts but maybe less if you use sea salt. 5.) Use red pepper & black pepper. 6.) Use whole tomatoes but crush and dice in a 50/50 mix. 7.) Use russet potatoes (thickness increases directly by stirring). 8.)Onions & carrots should minced. 9.) Okra can be used but it can be bitter sometimes. 9.) Oregano & poultry seasoning were never in Brunswick Stew of colonial times. 10.) Yes – The original recipe calls for squirrel or wild game."


My adaption of
Mrs. Fearnow's Brunswick Stew recipe:

2.5 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 small yellow onions, diced
24 oz. bag frozen shoe peg white corn kernels
24 oz. bag frozen baby lima beans
28 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
1 cooked deli chicken, shred white and dark meat
1/2 stick salted butter
 can chicken stock
sea salt
sugar
black peppercorn
crushed red pepper flakes
Worcestershire sauce


Boil potatoes and onions until almost tender, drain.  
Melt butter in large (8 quart pot) and add corn, lima beans, cooked potatoes and onions.  
Stir vegetables in butter then add 1/2 can chicken stock.
Add both cans of crushed and diced tomatoes.  The seasonings get a little complicated to break down because I literally added 1/2 tsp. and 1 tsp. increments of salt, sugar, black peppercorn, and crushed red pepper flakes until it tasted right.  I added 2 splashes of Worcestershire sauce at the end because it seemed like something was missing.  
I heated on medium/high heat until boiling, then reduced heat to a simmer.  
The longer it simmers the better it tastes!

*I added the rest of the chicken stock as the stew cooked down and became thicker.  
Ours cooked all morning and afternoon.

**I know the original recipe calls for all the chicken parts but I'm not a big fan 
of raw chicken, so I like the cooked chicken and chicken stock version.

***My Mom says to add bacon grease, but I didn't have any.

Everyone who ate is said is was great, 
so I feel like I hit pretty close to what the original tastes like.
If you try this recipe I would love to hear what you think!

Kim


22 comments:

  1. I also love Mrs. Fearnow's brunswick stew, but have recently been disappointed that I can't find it much, and when I do, the price is so high! So I did what you did...looked at lots of recipes then adapted one of my own. (I actually didn't come across your until mine was already cooking!) Mine is very similar, except I add ketchup, BBQ sauce and honey BBQ sauce. It gives it a little different flavor than the yellow can, but it is very, very yummy!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you can buy off line - this is the affordable version and direct!

      http://www.shop.boonebrands.com/Mrs-Fearnows-Chicken-Brunswick-Stew-0020.htm

      Delete
  2. Hi Lauren,

    I have only been able to find it once or twice from my grocer and then it's gone again!

    Thanks for stopping by, if you ever try my recipe, I would love to hear what you think!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, How many people does this feed? I have to make 17 gallons for a catering job this week and want to use this recipe. By the way I live in Charlottesville but am from Richmond.
      Ted Anderson - acfh199@cs.com

      Delete
    2. Ted, I'm so sorry, I honestly do not know! It made a large pot with enough to freeze left overs but beyond that I couldn't tell you a number. My guess would be 12 people but I could be so off base with that number! I apologize for not being more helpful!!

      Kim

      Delete
  3. I'm eating Mrs. Fearnow's Brunswick Stew right now as I type this! Decided to do some research as it's been so hard to find at local stores. My search was prompted by my daughter who couldn't find it & I came across it at a store & called her and ended up buying the case! I've seen it here & there...now & then...sporatically. Your recipe sounds good & I'll give it a try some time....my daughter isn't much of a cook, but she may have to learn how to make this (so thanks for your recipe) if it gets too hard to find in stores!

    Rae Levy
    Midlothian, VA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! Everyone I know loves MFBS! It is hard to find. Your picture looks very close to the original. I think the original uses small butter beans. Thanks again!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to send along this link: http://mccarterforestry.net/Kelley/Brunswick_stew.html

      Bob

      Delete
  5. My Masonic Lodge has a Brunswick Stew fund raiser each October. We borrow Manchester Shrine Club's "100-Quart" iron kettle, and a smaller iron kettle for stew without corn for people with Diverticulitis. A large gas fired burner protected by a 'wrap" of ductwork-type steel is wrapped around the base of each kettle to hold the heat under the kettle, and what used to be a canoe paddles are used to stir the stew.( Constant stirring is MOST important, as burned stew can ruin the entire batch) Your main ingredients are not dissimilar to what we use, only in much larger quantities. HOWEVER, our recipe uses cooked sweet potatoes as part of the base, and less tomato. I wish there was some way I knew how to estimate the amount, but I CAN tell you that sweet potato is what lends the fantastic orange color to the stew and thick base. The photo you've included looks pretty close to our finished product, but ours has a thicker base than even MFBS. In fact, when we make it, I buy 5 quarts for myself, and several others that I give as gifts. It freezes beautifully, and you simply heat and eat. WE ALWAYS SELL OUT ! I add real bacon bits to mine when I prepare EACH quart. Some people like to add Texas Pete Hot sauce, but that's an insult to good Brunswick Stew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this! I've recently moved from VA to the midwest and can't find Mrs. Fearnow's anywhere. I get such a craving for their stew. I'm going to try your knock off soon. Your pic looks pretty spot-on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this recipe. My husband has been grieving since we could no longer find it in the stores in our area. I Googled it and found other products I could order online, but not the Brunswick Stew. I can't wait to try it.

    Also, my 5 year old granddaughter just loved your post about your Elf on the Shelf. Ours is named Fisbee (like the book) and is a girl. One morning we found her in the popcorn bowl, taking a mini-marshmallow bath...too funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tricia, I hope you like it! ...we miss our elf since he left :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the recipe! This looks great! When I make it, I will update with my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I order a case of MFBS every winter shipped to the barren desert wastelandsof Arizona every winter. It is heavy of course and shipping makes it expensive, but still worth it to me. You can and order it from Bost Distributing at I believe www.bostdistributing.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pardon the extra "every winter" above - and the correct web address to order Mrs. F's is www.bostdistributingcompany.com (they currently only list the 20 oz can on the web page but I think you can still purchase the 29 oz as well. Pay on the site by PayPal or you can call them with a card after drafting your order. They're in Sanford NC at Tel: 919.775.5931 or 800.319.4246

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used your adaptation and it turned out great. I tried a full teaspoon for the seasonings and it was just enough. My brother thought I had some cans of Mrs. Fearnow's when I gave him some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so great to hear! Thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
  12. I found your blog while surfing Pinterest at 2 a.m.; hit the store early and made this Brunswick stew. I added the bacon grease and Worcester sauce in the cooking process. It is FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You lost me at "cooked deli chicken". I believe in modern convenience and pre-processed foods up to a point, but cooked deli chicken goes way beyond that point. My aunt used to make a delicious brunswick stew and she'd used a stewing hen, but they are nearly impossible to find these days. A cut-up fryer should work reasonably well.

    Having said that, I'm am incredibly impressed with the research you did and the historical background you presented. I think I'll try your recipe (my aunt took hers with her to the grave when she died a few days short of her hundredth birthday) but I'll substitute a fresh fryer for the deli chicken.

    Thanks for your diligence and the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Expect the best form Mrs Fearnow's Brunswick Stew..Yellow can!"

    My name is Daniel T. and I am from Fayetteville, NC; however my career and promotions have taken me to Balt, Phila, NYC, Boston, Denver and 8 NC towns.
    I've been using the product since it's inception about 70 years ago, my mom brought it into the family menu after WWII. We all know about it and although I had to fight for the last two cans at Wal Mart Today in High Point, it just works. One of the Oldies but goodies. The price is high. It is hearty and if you are starvin' try it with a great sandwich. If you wan't a testimony from time...call on me! 336 882 5677.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi. I'm attempting to make this. When do I add the rotisserie chicken?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!! If you are commenting as "Anonymous" please leave your name so I know who you are :)