Monday, December 17, 2012

My thoughts on the Sandy Hook Elementary tragedy...


I try to keep this little blog of mine light and easy, but I have something I want to say, and I hope you don't mind.


I have come to terms with the fact that I put myself in danger when I walk into a mall, a movie theatre, or a grocery store, but I will be damned to accept sending my child into a living hell as I send her off to school.

I am so sick of hearing that if a criminal wants to commit violence that there is nothing we can do. How many children need to die before we throw our hands in the air and say "Enough is enough"? 

This is a gun issue, a mental health issue, a school security issue, a societal issue. How can you send your child to school tomorrow and say that our system is not broken, that there is nothing we can do differently to make sure that our children return home safe?

This was not a surprise to me. I have walked in to my child's school and noted the one woman sitting at the front desk would not be any match for a gunman. I have noted how close to an exit door my child's classroom is and how little to no security is present as I walk through the halls. I have worried, I have watched, and I knew something like this was coming. But no matter how your logical mind may prepare itself, the truth is so overwhelming and heart-wrenching that it is hard to breath.

The absolute worst has happened, now we must use this chance to fix what is broken. It is our responsibility to do everything in our power to protect our children and those that spend their lives teaching them. We have to work together to look with open minds and open hearts to do what is right and what is required for us to send our children to a place a safety and security.

To the victims of Sandy Hook Elementary, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.

Kim

1 comment:

  1. Kim, we are both on the same wave-length today. I appreciate your comments on my post and I can see that we both agree on the need for positive action. This is so well-written!
    Leslie (aka Gwen Moss)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!! If you are commenting as "Anonymous" please leave your name so I know who you are :)