Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Striped Wall

  So anytime I say "oh this will be so easy, I'll be done in no time" someone please slap me!  I see these great projects in blogland and everyone makes it look so easy.  I swear, anytime I do a project it costs me twice as much and takes me three times as long as it does everyone else.

  This one little wall about killed me.  No not really, but it caused me a few screaming fits and some nights sleep.  Mainly poor planning on my part was the cause and also my sometimes insane inability to make a decision.  First, I started with (3) wide white stripes.  I painted that and decided I didn't like that look.  I then painted (4) 10" stripes, and I don't know, it looked too perfectly porportionate or something.  This is about the time that (my DH started looking at me all crazy) I wanted to pull my hair out and abandon the project but I had a bunch of stripes on the wall.  So I did a little math and figured out a layout that I thought I would like better.

  I ended up with a 4" stripe at the top of blue, 9" stripes going down alternating white and blue, and ended with a 5" stripe of blue at the bottom.  This was sooo much better in my opinion.  I was really happy with it... for about a minute.  Then I decided that the semi-gloss white stripes were just... too white.  So off to Home Depot I went to buy some off-white eggshell that matched the sheen of the blue already on the wall.  Oh.my.goodness.I.am.insane.

  Here is the process and what I ended up with:

I took a ruler and marked down the wall and connected those lines using a yardstick.  No levels or fancy tools here.


Taped off the lines with painters tape and marked my blue lines with a bit of painters tape so I knew where not to paint.


Most important tip:  dry brush the edges of the tape down before you start rolling on your paint.



After the paint has dried take a white eraser and erase any visible pencil marks.


Wish List:  This is the type of console that I envision on this wall but 'lo and behold, that is not what I had on hand.


I found this pretty lady for $40 at our local CHKD thrift store and thought she looked pretty cute there.



Not my first choice of artwork but I stole it from the bathroom until I can find something I really like.




I would take a picture of the entire table and dining area, but then you would see all my mess :)  Maybe tomorrow.


6 comments:

  1. Love your wall!! Following you from TDC-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Claire! You are my first non-friend comment, you don't know how excited that makes me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, beautiful job on the stripes!! Thanks for linking up to my paint color party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kim! Do you know the paint colors you used on the stripes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jena, the colors are White Lagoon (the blue, it's also the color of the rest of the walls in our family room/dining room) and White on White, both by Glidden.

      Kim :)

      Delete
  5. Hi! Where did you get the lantern light?? Also LOVE walls :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!! If you are commenting as "Anonymous" please leave your name so I know who you are :)